01 February 2009

quitting...

everytime i use our home PC, I always have a chance of seeing what my husband is up to.  Sitting in our not-so-cozy computer monoblock has always been a surprise.  There are days when the monitor is loaded with PC stuff like those in www.tipidpc.com and www.cdrking.com ; and then some are fishing blog, fishing forum, fishing stuff, etc.  Recently his fave is www.mazdatech.org .  The other day it was p()rn heheh...

Our browser is Opera.  Even if he leaves the PC off, there's always an option of viewing the last opened windows.  And since this was a default option, i don't bother ticking off another option and preferring a blank window :) Anyways, when I got home last Friday he left the fishing forum window opened.  He wasn't exactly inside one topic but the words in the Board Index got me interested.  It says Quitting Smoking.



I browsed the thread hoping he had replied to the TS but he didn't.  This afternoon, I checked on the thread and was hoping (again) to see him reply but he still didn't.  I secretly wanted to see him post how he has quit but I know he hasn't completely.  To make matters worst, all I saw was that his friend dropped his name when he mentioned those people who was supporting his (friend) vice :(  I wanted to post a reply but since I am not a member and he was a mod, who am i to post. 

http://www.filipinoanglers.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=2731

I'm not sure if their forum has a tracking device of people who links them just like wordpress.  but if ever they have it I'm pretty sure Mr. FisherBoy can explain himself  well :)  And since I couldn't post there, I'm going to say here what I was suppoed to post there.
To the person who started the thread (TS),  I'd like to tell you how much I love you (no romantic feelings involved!). Kudos to you for even starting the thread, and another cheer for even wanting to try.  I know how difficult it is to quit because I have tried and failed and tried again to convince my husband to do so.  One minute he tells you, he has forgotten about smoking and how he hated the scent of smoke, and then after some time he confesses to you that he's been to it again.  Most of the time no confession happens.  Finding an evidence is like fishing.  When you search for them you won't see them.  They come out on unexpected places in an unexpected time of the day. 

Tomorrow marks our 9th year of quitting.  I must tell you that he was successful in a few years only to find out he went back to smoking a few months before we got married.  At several points I  wanted to quit on him but then that wouldn't help him.  I have played several roles already.  The not-talking partner, the angry-partner, the crying style, the begging technique, the who-cares-if-you-die-with-your-smoking-vice attitude, even the NO KISS POLICY did not work.  but all of these will not work if YOU are not convinced that quitting is the best thing to do.  It took my dad to have 5 kids and the youngest to be in grade school to finally and totally say NO.  Of course New Year's Day was always an excuse to use cigar as a lighting device.  But it took years really.  And I think one most important factor is that he had a friend who stopped smoking also.

Freeman's offer is a good start.  No offense, but I think my husband went back to smoking when he started fishing.  Does the feeling of cold wind against your wet shirt bring back a familiar scene?  That happens after fishing and all you wanted was a little warmth...and one stick wouldn't hurt, or maybe two or three.  So what's the solution..QUIT FISHING...hehehe...joke! 

suggestions:

  1. It's always good to search where it started and then from there find means of ending it.

  2. Find a buddy.  Someone to tap you when you're at it again.  Someone to tap also when he's at it, too.  Can I volunteer my husband?

  3. Candy.  Ask wifey to always send you candies.  I should be doing this.

  4. Do not promote smoking.  When you smoke, do not invite friends to smoke with you.  Let the vice end on you.  If they die, they can't blame you.  If you die, you can't blame them.

  5. Do not buy packs.  always in sticks.  So when you run out...that's it..YOU RUN OUT.


Lastly, can I ask you a favor?  If you have a wife, please update her.  There's nothing more heart-wrecking than knowing your husband is not keeping his promise.  She will get mad, but she will love you despite of. 

No comments:

Post a Comment