21 December 2010

10

10 more days, and another year will pass.  i still remember the writing activity we've had when I was in grade school.  If "What I did Last Summer" was a cliche, then what do you call "What Will I be Ten Years from Now"?  Oh, the agony of predicting future at an early age.  I'm pretty sure, this doesn't happen just once.   I remember wondering how my classmates can whip a nicely done two-paged write-up, while I was struggling for just a paragraph.  How can they say what they really wanted?  How can they know what they are going to be, ten years hence.  Some would say they'll be a doctor by that time, but I would say to them, how can you be a doctor when after ten years you're just 19?  Unless you're Doogie Howser.


It's been 17 years after graduation, and Facebook has made several reunions possible.  Those who claimed to be business people after 10 years were already into business, some have completely different tracks, but most of the people who knew what they'll be 10 years after are more or less have improved lives.


I do not envy them because of what they have or because of who they are.  I envy them because they knew what they wanted to be, and they keep track of their personal growth.  I wish to be more like them, to know what I really want, to know where i am good at, to see things without being told.  I want to be the director of my own drama series.  I want to be in control, not of anybody's life, but of my own life.  So, 10 or more years from now, I can look back and retrace the roots of my own sweet victory.

No comments:

Post a Comment