20 December 2011

how to wean

For Sofia, weaning came very late.  I was told by many that kids should be weaned out of bottle-feeding as soon as they turn 1. Her pedia said we should try at 2, but luck wasn't on our side.  She would throw tantrums at night when she doesn't get her supply.  We've resorted to lowering her oz intake, making her milk too diluted and even controlling the number of bottles left in the room.  But because she gets to stay in the room all by herself, she ends up putting extra scoop in her (matalino!).    When she turned 4 I tried coaxing her that since she's big already she should stop drinking milk from the bottle but she would contest.  A few months before Christmas, I told her "o pagChristmas na, no more mimi bottle na ah".  I would sometimes hear her telling her lola and tito that she would start drinking milk in the glass when it's Christmas.  I gave her time after.
One night, when we went to the mall, I intentionally left the bottles in mama's house.  She hasn't drink milk for the past two nights, and maybe tricking her one more night won't hurt.  When we came back, she was looking for milk and I told her we don't have milk bottles.  Then I remember bringing home a mineral water bottle from the mall.  I told her, I'll just make milk in it.  She agreed, and she was able to finish the serving.  The following night I told her I don't have bottles again, so she agreed that I make it in her school jug.  The next milk nights, she agreed to have them in the glass.  I did this every night, even leaving a glass with spoon and water so she can make her own when she gets back from school.  We're now on our 4th week (we started sometime November) and she seldom drinks milk now.  Though, for me it is an achievement I still prefer she continue drinking milk even in glass.  Sometimes she would even refuse to eat rice.  I would have to deal with that sometime...and thumb-sucking.  Bye-bye botes!

No comments:

Post a Comment