12 December 2008

constipation

i texted daddi after 12 to check if he's pushing with his plans of bringing Sofi to XS.  I got a call instead and he said he couldn't leave because Sofi is constipated.  When i got home in the afternon, she hasn't done the deed yet and everyone was reporting how Sofi has been crying the whole day.   Daddi has to leave now and it's my turn to help Sofi with her "burden".   Daddi already tried the suppository trick but he wasn't successful.

She had her share of constipation in the past and we've gathered some interesting ways how to help a tod passed big poops.

1. Water. Let the baby drink plenty of water and cut the milk for the meantime.  I gave her cookies and crackers to nibble on.  Made her ate rice.  Then let her drink as much water as she like.


2. Cycling motion. Let her lie down on her back and gently move her legs as if she’s riding a bike. This will make the stomach muscles move and, in turn, put gentle pressure on the intestines to make them move.


3. Tummy massage. Massage her tummy in circular motion to loosen the poop that won’t come up. Piece of advice; never do this if she has just drunk milk.


4. Fruit juice. Apple, pear or prune juice. It contains Sorbitol (Sugar alcohol) which stays long in the intestines thus increasing the poop’s liquid content. I remember Gerber has a juice line and one of them is apple. Maybe you could try it. Too bad, my little angel hates juice.


5. Warm ba-bath. Nothing soothes the senses more than having a warm bath. Allow her to stay in her wash area a little longer. This will also be a good time to massage her tummy.


6. Glycerine suppository. I have seen her constipate several times and believe me, it’s not easy. Her mommi-i-am-scared face never fails to bring tears to my eyes. I have always told Jaims to make suppository as a last option. I know he too is taken by the daddi-i-am-scared face, so rather than seeing her oh-so-fave-daughter suffer, the suppository becomes a handy gadget. We got a generic one from Mercury Drugstore and it has stayed in the refrigerator for some time. It’s a stick-like wax inserted in the child’s anus. It melts due to body temperature leaving waxy residue in the passage allowing the poop to pass out. When she was barely one, we only used 1/3 of the stick but now it seems that it’s not enough. Daddi used the same amount this morning but it didn’t work. I tried it again with the same amount and I still failed. It was only after using one whole that she was able to poop. Although it wasn’t as successful as the first one when it literally rolled out without us knowing.


7. Laxative. I remember giving her oral laxatives (I forgot the name) when she was less than 6 months. Sofi hated water before and she would only take in milk. She was also using a Isomil then, a soy-based milk . And I didn’t know that the lack of lactose will make an infant constipate thus her pedia then recommended Laxatives. The bottle’s still inside the refrigerator, I think we only used it once. Sofi never liked it anyway.




I tried tricks1, 2, 3, 5 and 6 but i'm not sure which really helped her.  One thing is for sure, the need to re-assure your little ones that you will stay beside them no matter what is a must.  This is not the time for angry and impatient voices.  if you need to sing to her or tell her stories to calm her down then do so.  The more they become upset, the longer they will hold on to it.


2 comments:

  1. Sabi ni mama constipated daw ako when I was a kid. She made me drink calamansi juice everyday. Papaya also helps (ito tried and tested!).

    ReplyDelete
  2. pwede siguro yung papaya for Sofi pero calamansi juice naka-ilang attempt na ako ayaw talaga eh :(

    ReplyDelete