20 November 2010

The Very Hungry Caterpillar

I was invited in Sofi's school to tell a story.  No certain theme to follow, just come to school with two stories.  Apparently the activity was something to introduce them to community helppers.  Of course I didn't want to use Alamat ng Pating again.  I feel I won't learn anything if I use the same material.

The thought bubble that popped out of my head is that it has to be in English.  Alamat ng Pating is best told in the vernacular, so hands down, it's not to be used.  Besides it might scare them away.  Brought home a few books to study: The Chocolate Covered Cookie Tantrum by Deborah Blumenthal, The True Story of the Three Little Pigs by Jon Scieszka and Lane Smith, and The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle.  It's funny because the tantrum book has a main character named Sofia who would not stop cry and screaming unless she gets her cookie.  It felt close to home, it was as if I made the story.  I just didn't like the ending as her mom gave her a cookie at the end of the story.  The True Story is funny but I'm not sure if kids Sofi's age will find it funny.  Imagine the wolf explaining his side, isn't that hilarious?

So I chose The Very Hungry Caterpillar.  It's basic but I figured if I use a caterpillar balloon then it would be something else.  I was ecstatic with the idea.  When it's time to make the caterpillar big, we'll just have to put some air to make it appear getting fatter.  I remember buying a few caterpillar balloons last July in National Bookstore.  I felt devastated though when a few days before the stint, I couldn't find the same balloon.  I settled for wiggly balloons.  The night before the activity, Jaims was able to find a similar balloon.  I was saved.

We made a slideshow of pictures but we were not able to use all.  But the story was such a blast, with or without the presentation.




IMAGE RETRIEVED FROM:

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/images/h0/h2340.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment