06 July 2006

Nang mamanhikan si Jaime

PAMAMANHIKAN noun
1. a Filipino tradition where the man and his family visit the woman's family and ask for her parents blessings to marry their daughter. It is also an occasion for the parents of the woman to get to know the parents of the man.

2. derived from the verb panik meaning to go up the stairs of the house.

Two months ago I asked Jaims when they would do their pamamanhikan, he said June.
Another month had passed I asked him again when, he said next week.
That week I was supposed to tell papa, I got scared I didn't.
Friday that week, I was inside the jeepney on the way home planning really hard what to tell mama, when I saw her I had an attack of selective amnesia.
Saturday passed. Sunday did. Monday too.

Tuesday, bahala na. When I got home she was gardening. Nervous, I passed by her, pretended to check what's for merienda. I went out. I told her. Tapos. That made my day.

Fast forward to July 2, Sunday (our 77th monthsary). They got here at 5. He was with Ate Jing, Auntie Alice, Ate Minnie and Joe. He looked good in his red sports shirt. It turned out beyond my expectation. Again, papa invited Uncle Cef to come here. I felt bad because it meant someone taking the lime light away from my parents. I wanted his family to talk to mine and not other people. For both of my kuyas' wedding, he was always the middle person which I don't agree of since it looks like our side doesn't want to them personally. But as I've said, they exceeded my expectation. Mama and Papa were very talkative, and my uncle is amazingly quiet this time. It started really awkward, no one knows who should start. I was quiet, actually more of scared. Since our family isn't the type who enjoys confrontation, being in the hotseat doesn't help. Jaims was laughing at me because while they were talking, I was at one corner folding plastics HA HA HA!!!

In front of the dining table, I really loved mama. She was so accommodating. Papa's a little reserved but when Ate Minnie and Auntie Alice started praising their cooking skills, Papa suddenly became the "bida" of the house. Buti na lang magaling mambola in-laws ko heheh! Jaims brought Birthday Canton, 3 Country Chickens, Sapin-sapin and cake. Poor guy, he spent a lot. Papa served his special gambas, fried chicken and adobo. Mama made buko pandan. I wished papa cooked more of his special menu. But it only dawned into me now that they don't have money left anymore after paying the 18k electric bill.

After dinner they moved to the sala and talked more. Ate Minnie even mentioned the London honeymoon thingy. Kaya when tehy left, everyone was really excited. Even papa wanted to get a visa heheh!

All in all, I felt really good after the pamamanhikan. First because mama and papa finally did their job in giving away their children unlike before in kuya's case. Second, that everything turned out fine, that mama clicked with their family. Third, because the feeling that my family is already interested. And last, because i feel that in more ways than one mama loved me more because I saved for my own wedding and I did not burden them with its expenses.
**************************

And since they knew already, mama started with her usual attitude..oy si ganito na lang kunin mong ninong,,,eto na lang ninang mo,,,wag na lang sya di naman yan pupunta...'nuff said.

No comments:

Post a Comment